Primary contents from here.
Metals & Minerals Company
The Metals & Minerals Company consists of two divisions -- the Metals & Mineral Resources Division and the Coal, Nuclear & Solar Division -- and one department, the Steel Business Coordination Department.
The Metals & Mineral Resources Division operates a large supply chain consisting of operations of large-scale iron ore and aluminum projects; development of mineral resources such as rare metals and base metals, and trades in iron ore and non-ferrous metal products.
The Coal, Nuclear & Solar Division supports critical lifelines of electric power and power generation, in addition to developing mines for coking coal for ironworks, and trading in coal. It develops coal and uranium mines and trades on a global scale. The Division also develops and trades in new fuels for power generation, including biomass, and is involved in the trading of greenhouse gas emission credits. The solar power generation business is another important segment in the Coal Division. The Division is consequently active within the extensive sphere of worldwide electric power and power generation.
The Steel Business Coordination Department is exploring ways to develop synergies with Marubeni-Itochu Steel Inc.
The activities of the Metals & Minerals Company contribute to the stable supply of mineral resources to Japan and the world and to the development of the global economy and environmental initiatives.
- Metals & Mineral Resources
- Iron ore, Pellet, Direct reduced iron, Non-ferrous metals, Rare metals, Rare earth, Base metals, Aluminum, Alumina , Ferro alloy and its materials
- Steel & Non-Ferrous Products
- Steel plates, Hot & cold rolled sheets, Galvanized steel, Steel for machinery, Stainless steel, High tensile steel, Various specialty steel materials, Construction materials, Welded steel pipes, Seamless steel pipes, Steel wires, Marine steel structures, Bridges, Prefabricated steel for buildings, Rails, Non-ferrous/light metal products, aluminum rolled products, Aluminum extrusion products, Electric Wires, Optical Fiber cables, Electronic materials and products, Steel scrap, Pig iron, Metal powder, Electrodes, Activated carbon
- Coal, Nuclear & Solar
- Coking coal, Coke, Thermal coal, Biomass, Greenhouse gas emission credits, Solar power generation businesses
- Jun. 7, 2013
- ITOCHU Announces Start of Construction of Africa's Largest Photovoltaic Power Generation System in South Africa
- Feb. 18, 2013
- ITOCHU Announces Signing on Arrangement for Joint Development of Molybdenum-Tungsten Project in Republic of Kazakhstan
- Jan. 23, 2013
- ITOCHU Announces Capital/Business Partnership between Rakuten and Ecosystem Japan
- Nov. 30, 2012
- ITOCHU Announces the Launch of a 75 MW Solar Power Plant in the Republic of South Africa
- Mar. 15, 2012
- Exploration Achievements on Ruddock Creek Zinc/Lead Joint Exploration Project in Canada
- Iron Ore Project in Brazil
- As the leader of a consortium of Japanese and Korean companies, we have obtained a 40% equity position in NAMISA, an iron ore producer and distributor in Brazil.
- Iron Ore Project in Western Australia
- Jointly with BHP Billiton, a major resources company, we are developing a coal production business boasting an annual production volume of more than 160 million tons.
- Coal Project in Australia
- Jointly with Xstrata, a major resources company, we are developing a coal production business boasting an annual production volume of more than 30 million tons.
- Coal Project in Colombia
- Jointly with Drummond, a major resources company, we are developing a coal production business boasting an annual production volume of 25 million tons.
- Solar Power (CSP) plants in Spain
- We acquired a stake in two 50-megawatt Concentrating Solar Power (CSP) plants in partnership with Abengoa Solar. The plants are going to start operating in June 2012.