"ASIA SHOPPING KING" of FI Media Chosen as Project in Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications' "Survey & Research on International Co-Production in the Asia Region"
July 26, 2013
“ASIA SHOPPING KING,” a TV shopping project produced by FI Media Project, Inc. (headquartered in Minato-ku, Tokyo; Osamu Kanemitsu, Hiroshi Kajiwara, Representatives; hereinafter “FIM”), a company that plans businesses for Asia and is a subsidiary of Fuji Media Holdings, Inc. (headquartered in Minato-ku, Tokyo; Hideaki Ohta, President and COO; hereinafter “FMH”) and ITOCHU Corporation (headquartered in Minato-ku, Tokyo; Masahiro Okafuji, President & CEO; hereinafter “ITOCHU”), was recently chosen by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) as one of the projects in its “Survey & Research on International Co-Production in the Asia Region,” a measure included in the fiscal 2012 supplementary budget.
FIM already began co-producing a shopping program with broadcasters in Asian nations this spring, and has launched its shopping business. Its latest selection for the MIC survey will prompt FIM to further its survey and research on the possibilities of expanding Japanese media content and products to Asia.
The MIC survey and research supports businesses’ efforts to communicate information on Japan abroad through the co-production of programs with overseas businesses. FIM’s “ASIA SHOPPING KING” is characterized not only as the production of a program, but also as a survey conducted as an actual business.
Outline of project commissioned by MIC
|Name of project||“Co-Production of Shopping Program and Shopping Business in Taiwan and Thailand”|
|Description||FIM takes the initiative in producing the TV shopping program “ASIA SHOPPING KING” jointly with TV shopping business operators in Taiwan and Thailand, and in running the program and selling products in Japan, Taiwan and Thailand.|
FIM, established jointly by FMH and ITOCHU in November 2012, currently conducts surveys to commercialize its Asia Media Network Vision (*1), a new business concept centered on TV programs in Asian countries. As the first step in the business project survey, FIM has produced programs in two fields – the TV shopping business and music license business – and after signing business partnership contracts with five media groups and TV stations in four countries (Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand and Indonesia), the project began airing the programs this April in each country, including Fuji TV in Japan.
As for its TV shopping business, FIM will produce its own shopping program, “ASIA SHOPPING KING,” which spans Japan, Taiwan and Thailand and accommodates the culture and language of each country. Fuji TV will air the program in Japan, while it will air on shopping channels in other Asian countries. (*2)
The music license business, involving Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and Indonesia, has produced a program, “ASIA VERSUS” (airing on Fuji TV late every Friday night), which scouts new songs from Asian artists and is aired on the TV stations of each country. The business aims to run businesses with the publishing rights of songs originating in the program. These businesses will also develop their own websites to form communities using SNS and to sell products and songs via the Internet.
- *1) The Asia Media Network Vision:
- A concept of signing business partnerships with multiple TV stations in Asia to develop a network centered on the TV programs of each station and run businesses related to the programs.
- *2) Profile of TV program “ASIA SHOPPING KING”
- - MC: Hiroyuki Amano (Kyaeen), among others.
- - Cast: Popular show hosts (of TV shopping programs) from each TV station.
- - Program profile: Popular show hosts from TV shopping channels of each country gather in a studio to introduce and sell popular products in each country to viewers throughout Asia.
- - Filmed at: Fuji Television Network Studio
- - Airing schedule:
- ■ Japan (Fuji TV): Commenced Saturday, April 27 (60 min.; aired once a month). Aired late at night on the last Saturday of every month. (Next airing: Saturday, July 27 1:58 a.m. - 2:58 a.m.)
- ■ Taiwan: Station “MOMO”: Commenced July 7; aired once a month.
- ■ Thailand: Station “TVdirect”: Due to commence in August.
FIM company profile
|Company name||FI Media Project, Inc.|
|Representatives||Osamu Kanemitsu (FMH), Hiroshi Kajiwara (ITOCHU)|
|Location of head office||4-8 Daiba 2-chome, Minato-ku, Tokyo|
|Date established||November 15, 2012|
50% FMH, 50% ITOCHU