ITOCHU Announces Launch of Workplace COVID-19 Vaccinations
June 2, 2021
ITOCHU Corporation (headquartered in Minato-ku, Tokyo; Keita Ishii, President & COO; hereinafter “ITOCHU”) announced today that it has decided to launch its workplace COVID-19 vaccination program to fully cooperate with the government, which has announced a policy of rolling out workplace vaccinations.
The vaccinations will be offered to approx. 6,000 people who wish to be inoculated, including employees of group companies working in the Tokyo Headquarters
and Osaka Headquarters buildings of ITOCHU and those of outsourcing companies working in the Tokyo Headquarters building as receptionists, security guards, cleaners, corporate cafeteria staff, and others, as well as ITOCHU employees.
In addition, ITOCHU will also offer the vaccine to Childcare professionals in Tokyo and Osaka areas desiring to get inoculated (approx. 1,500 people), via Poppins Co., Ltd. (headquartered in Shibuya-ku, Tokyo; Maiko Todoroki, President and CEO), to which ITOCHU outsources the operation of its in-house nursery at its business establishments.
The inoculations will be conducted mainly by ITOCHU's industrial physicians and nurses. The company also plans to call for employee volunteers to operate the venues. Most of the eligible people are expected to have their second shot within August.
ITOCHU will contribute to the early recovery of the Japanese economy with vaccinations for people including essential workers, so that the COVID-19 pandemic will end and all people will resume normal life, as soon as possible. Thus, ITOCHU will fulfill its corporate mission, "sampo yoshi."
Details of the workplace vaccination program are as follows.
- Date of launch: Monday, June 21, 2021
- Venues: Tokyo Headquarters and Osaka Headquarters
- Vaccine: Vaccine developed by Moderna Inc., which will be supplied by the government
2. Eligible people
- Number of eligible people: Approx. 7,500 (expected)
*Approx. 15,000 doses are planned to be prepared.
- Eligibility: ITOCHU employees working in Japan, employees of group companies working in Tokyo Headquarters and Osaka Headquarters buildings, those who desire to get inoculated among employees of outsourcing companies working in the Tokyo Headquarters, and approximately 1,500 Childcare professionals desiring to be vaccinated from Poppins Co., Ltd., which operates ITOCHU's in-house nursery at its business establishments
3. Environment for the vaccinations
- Time spent by ITOCHU employees receiving the vaccinations will be counted as work hours.
- Special leave (paid leave) will be granted to employees who experience side effects.
- ITOCHU will widely call for volunteers from among employees to operate the vaccination venues.
■ Reference: Press release from Poppins Co., Ltd. (June 2, 2021)