ITOCHU’ s Sustainability Website is to provide various stakeholders including shareholders, investors, business partners, and others with a deep understanding of our company’ s sustainability policies, approaches, targets, systems, and specific initiatives. We recognizes that “Meeting the expectations of society through business activities will help maintain sustainability and lead to further growth.” With this in mind, ESG Report 2021 reports the details of our sustainable activities in the previous fiscal year together with ESG performance data and our contribution to the SDGs.
This report principally covers actual data for the fiscal year beginning on April 1, 2022, and ended on March 31, 2023 (FYE 2023). However, some of the most recent information on our activities and initiatives are also included.
This report covers ITOCHU Corporation (7 domestic offices and 86 overseas offices) and its major group companies.
The environmental and social performance indicators marked with ★ and ◆ in this report are independently assured by KPMG AZSA Sustainability CO., Ltd.
Independent Assurance Report
- Publication: June 2023
- Next publication (scheduled): June 2024
- Previous publication: June 2022
In promoting sustainability, we refer to international guidelines and principles such as The Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the United Nations in September 2015. The guidelines and principles we refer to are listed below.
- The Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact
- GRI Sustainability Reporting Standards (GRI Standards)
Please click here for GRI Standard Reference Table.
- International Integrated Reporting Framework (IIRC)
- ISO 26000 (Social Responsibility)
- TCFD Recommendations
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR)
- UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP)
- Basic Principles on the Use of Force and Firearms by Law Enforcement Officials
- OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises
- The Environmental Reporting Guidelines issued by the Ministry of the Environment
- Keidanren: Charter of Corporate Behavior
- Japan Foreign Trade Council: Shosha’s Corporate Environmental Code of Conduct, Supply Chain CSR Action Guidelines
Disclosure of Sustainability-related Information
ITOCHU discloses information on a wide range of topics concerning its sustainability initiatives. The PDF is published as an annual report so as to provide continuous record of our ESG initiatives. In Sustainability Website, we provide information on activities carried out during the fiscal year in a timely manner.
This report is for a wide range of stakeholders including investors to provide particularly important information on our management performance and future growth strategies, as well as sustainability initiatives, in an integrated form, including financial and non-financial information, based on the characteristics of our business activities as a general trading company.
|Corporate Governance Report
This report presents our company's approach to corporate governance and its corporate structure in accordance with the principles stated in the Corporate Governance Code. We provide more detailed information on governance such as institutional design, operational status, and effectiveness evaluation.
|Annual Security Report
The financial statements have been prepared in accordance with Article 24, Paragraph 1 of the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act of Japan and submitted to the Kanto Local Finance Bureau. We provide more detailed information on our financial condition.
ITOCHU Corporation Sustainability Management Division
This site contains not only past and present facts, but also forecasts, targets, and plans for the future. These forward-looking statements are based on information available at the time they were updated and are subject to a number of factors that may cause actual results to differ materially from those presented in the forward-looking statements. Please use this site at your own discretion.